Wednesday, August 27, 2014

media blog #2



RAP MUSIC WHEN IT MEANT SOMETHING


            In the mid 90’s hip hop music was a huge culture to kids and teenagers. I was in my early teens and thought this music was the best thing around. I grew up in a big city (Seattle) and hip hop music was not the first choice of sound to listen too. I played a lot of sports and when we would be warming up before a basketball game Tupac or Biggie Smalls would be playing on the loud speakers and we would just get all hyped up and ready to play. I found that during this time this was called gangster rap and for some reason it attracted me more to the music.  Hip Hop has come a long way over the years, from Curtis Blow to Jay-Z. Founded in the 80’s, early hip hop was seen as a fad that would soon pass. But during the 90’s, Hip Hop flourished and was embraced by the mainstream.  Lyrics were at a premium, old school samples were frequently used, and some of the best hip-hop albums were produced.  As I was reading the way I should try to word this blog to help people understand the way this music was I thought I would just talk about the top 5 rappers that help me, my friends and I am sue most of you (and I mean people over 30) get through what was one hell of teenage years.

 

# 5

Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers) – Wu-Tang Clan

 Maybe the best collection of MC’s in one group that we will ever see, Wu-Tang Clan burst onto the scene in 1993. This Samurai Sunday inspired album was unlike any other previous hip hop album, including samples from kung fu movies and old school albums infused with gritty hip hop. A definitive album for its time, it included the hit singles “Protect Ya Neck,” “Method Man,” and “C.R.E.A.M.” I thought Method Man was the coolest guy ever to pick up a microphone and just lay down lines like it was taking candy from a baby. Just smooth.


Wu-Tang Clan: C.R.E.A.M

                                                     

 

 

 #4

The Chronic – Dr. Dre

 Dr. Dre first had showcased his talents for production with NWA. But after signing with Death Row Records, his musical genius blossomed. With Dre as the director, he featured multiple artists including Tha Dogg Pound, Lady of Rage & Snoop Dogg. The album was a mega-success, launching the west-coast to forefront. Includes hit singles “Nuthin but a G Thang, “and “Let Me Ride,” and “Dre Day.” This Cd made me and my friends do nothing but bob our heads to all the beats in the record.


Snopp and Dre: Nuthin but a G Thang

 

 #3

Doggystyle – Snoop Dogg

 Snoop Dogg first introduced himself to the world on Dr. Dre’s The Chronic. This talented, then 18 yrs. Old, rapper captured everybody’s attention with his distinctive flow.  Backed by the Dogg Pound & Mentored by Dr. Dre, the album was a mega success, selling over 800,000 the first week, becoming the fastest selling hip hop album ever, for that time. Inspired by 70’s groups like Parliament & The Stylistics, the album began a new style of rap called G Funk. Includes hit singles “Gin & Juice,” “What’s my Name,” and “Murder Was the Case. This Cd was what made me think that rap and a bit of comedy was a good thing to go in hand and hand.


Snoop Dogg: Gin & Juice

#2

Ready to Die – Notorious B.I.G.

 Considered by many as one of the best hip hop albums of all time, Ready to Die served as the debut for both Notorious B.I.G. and Bad Boy Records. The hit single “Juicy” introduced us to the big boy from Brooklyn. No one may have been as lyrically gifted, or as good a story teller as Biggie was. The album was a success, followed up with hits “Big Poppa,” “One more Chance,” and “Who Shot Ya,” thrusting Biggie to the forefront of hip hop.  It is too bad that the whole Bad Boy vs Death row and feud with Tupac took away the real talent this man had. One of the most natural rappers ever.


Biggie Smalls: Big Poppa

#1

All Eyez On Me – 2Pac

 The last, and arguably greatest, studio album released by 2Pac. It was the first album upon being bonded out of jail by Suge Knight. Freshly signed to Death Row, 2Pac had a lot to say, releasing one of the first double disc hip hop albums. Less political this time, “All Eyez on Me” was a celebration of the Thug Lifestyle. Includes the hit singles “California Love,” “Ambitionz Az a Ridah,” and “How Do You Want It. All this man did was rap from the heart. He had a lot to say, and was not afraid to say it. This to me was the best rap Cd to come out and was the only one I ever skipped School to go buy. (Who remember those days?)


Tupac: California Love

 

            This music some people might not like or agree with, but I will say that these albums right here made my teenage years fun and still to this day I listen to the records because this type of music will never go away and to me it is when music meant something.

            .

 




 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment